Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The High Price of Stale Grievances
(06-12-2018, 05:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote:  The author is saying that we should be addressing the problems of today rather than focusing on what happened before. That there are modern issues surrounding race in this country and we should stop using past injustices to color, for lack of a better word, that conversation.

At least that is what I gathered from the piece.

But when I am in debates about racial problems almost no one ever brings up slavery.  Look at all the threads here.  I talk about the high crime rate among blacks and not one person has ever said "It is okay because of slavery".

I don't know if you remember, but when there was a huge protest over the confederate flag I said they would be better off focusing that energy on something that could really help them instead of a symbol that is not holding everyone back.  If this author had said something like that then I would agree with him.  But instead he claims that blacks today have to result to "stale grievances" because they don't have any current grievances.

To quote him directly.  .  .  "modern-day blacks must be seen through the filter of history—not as autonomous individuals living in the present.  .  . "  The fact is they can be viewed as autonomous individuals living in the present and still complain about racism.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The High Price of Stale Grievances - fredtoast - 06-12-2018, 05:33 PM