Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player gets booed for upholding personal convictions
(06-14-2018, 12:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: And my argument is how is posting them a promotion of a religion and not just a promotion of the 10 Commandments?  As I just said to fred, my original point was to point out that displaying something should not automatically equal the unconsitutional promotion of the religoin that said thing comes from UNLESS you're excluding other religion's symbols from being displayed.

Which I don't disagree with entirely. The Ten Commandments do exist in relief at the Supreme Court, for example, because of their importance in the history of law. Their display is not exclusively in a religious context, but that context needs to be defined explicitly. However, if it is for religious context, then it can exist if the community is willing to entertain placement of other religious markers, which seems to be something you agree with. My question, though, is how welcome to the idea do you think a community would be to the placement of a Wiccan pentacle, or a Baphomet goat head? I can guarantee you that in a lot of communities that would happen almost immediately, which would cause conflict that places the local government in a position of liability.

This liability that exists in an all-or-none situation causes localities to take the "none" approach because it is easier to apply and is the least likely to increase liability on constitutional grounds.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Player gets booed for upholding personal convictions - Belsnickel - 06-14-2018, 03:09 PM