Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young immigrants detained in Virginia center allege abuse
(06-21-2018, 11:16 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: https://apnews.com/afc80e51b562462c89907b49ae624e79

This is in my back yard. This facility is about 20 miles away from where I sit and I drive by it with relative frequency. The story is getting a lot of play right now because people on the left are erroneously linking it to the Trump administration, and people on the right are using it to defend Trump since it took place under Obama. The issue is that we should not be linking this story to the issue of family separation. These children crossed the border alone, not with families. The decision to separate families was a broad DHS decision, this lawsuit is about actions by staff at this facility.

The teens in this facility should not have been held here for as long as they have been and they should not have been mistreated in the way they were. I've been part of a group that has been asking the facility to end their contract with DHS for years, now, so I'm a bit more aware of this than most. The issue at hand here is that there are individuals in this facility that have either actively abused the children held here or they have been complicit through their inaction. It's been going on for years with local children sent there, so it is no surprise to many of us that it is happening in this manner with these immigrant children.

It's a sad situation, but I wanted to bring it up here because it is newsworthy, but also to try to help people understand the situation.

This is why we need to stop politicizing some (all?) of this stuff. When something as egregious as this is discovered, we shouldn't be figuring out which president or poltical party is at fault. We should be figuring out how to rectify the situation, to put an end to it and to make sure it doesn't happen ever again.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Young immigrants detained in Virginia center allege abuse - PhilHos - 06-21-2018, 03:12 PM