Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL players respond to President Trump's request for names of people he should pardon
(06-21-2018, 02:44 PM)Shake  n Blake Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-players-respond-to-president-trumps-request-for-names-of-people-he-should-pardon/

So much to digest here.

2. If this supposed problem is at the local level, why have the players wasted so much time beefing with President Trump? Shouldn't they be protesting in local communities and taking their fight to local politicians? Instead, they've let the kneeling become fully associated with Trump, and have exacerbated this by making a big stink about not showing up to the White House.

3. Are they really suggesting drug dealers should be free to roam the streets? Most of the folks in prison for 20+ years over a drug offense aren't in there for having a dime bag. We're usually talking about mass distribution of hardcore drugs. Is this how you support the black community? By putting more drug dealers back on the streets?

4. Is this their idea of "systemic injustice"? Arresting folks for mass distribution of hardcore drugs? The only way this makes sense (I guess) is if they think the government is shipping in drugs to poor communities, just so they can lock up black folks, which seems ludicrous...especially when the players suggest it's a local problem.

I'm really not sure how holding folks accountable for their own actions = oppression or systemic injustice. It makes no sense. Laws are color-blind. Mass distribution of drugs is a bad thing. It didn't become a bad thing just so cops can nab black people.
I agree with all of what you said and was going to reply to it all but poker game is starting.

ThumbsUp   
(06-21-2018, 04:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He can only pardon people for federal offenses so I'm guessing that's why they listed the federal prison pop.

I don't see how you argue that elderly people should be released.  Life without parole is just that.

But then why aren't they petitioning their local jails?  Why haven't they been doing that all along?  Why wait until Trump is in office?  So you can bash him if he disagrees with anything?

(06-21-2018, 05:28 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Not long ago there were 70 some people locked up with a life without parole sentence for marijuana related offense, which I am assuming was a large quantity. Even though the 'War on Drugs' has been a failure, the 'War on Marijuana' which was part of that was just ridiculous. Locking someone away for weed, even lets say 6 pounds of it, is just mind-blowing wrong.

If its a non violent crime, then a lwp sentence doesnt seem justified, let alone right.

I agree that people in jail for weed should be released, unless they used violence in selling/collecting/distributing or also sold other drugs.

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL players respond to President Trump's request for names of people he should pardon - BFritz21 - 06-21-2018, 06:12 PM