Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump admin to withdraw from UN human rights council
(06-21-2018, 03:15 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Even though I think the council is 'corrupt' so to speak, and pretty much a joke, there was a quote from a high ranking Democrat in the house that does make sense on why Trump should not be pulling out from the council early.

"By withdrawing from the council, we lose our leverage and allow the council’s bad actors to follow their worst impulses unchecked — including running roughshod over Israel, said Eliot L. Engel (N.Y.), the top Democrat on the House committee that oversees the State Department."  https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-expected-to-back-away-from-un-human-rights-council/2018/06/19/a49c2d0c-733c-11e8-b4b7-308400242c2e_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7fdc1f7dfd2c

He pretty much is admitting the bias against Israel within the UN and the council itself. And this is the only argument I have heard so far as to why it is a bad thing to leave this flawed council that replaced the previous flawed UN council on human rights.

There are a lot of problems in the UN. As much as I want us to focus more on domestic issues, we need to be a leader in the world. Withdrawing from things like this does allow those problems to continue, just without our part in it. Instead of taking this approach, maybe trying to be a world leader and guide the UN in a good direction is the better approach.

That's just my thinking, though.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump admin to withdraw from UN human rights council - Belsnickel - 06-22-2018, 08:00 AM