Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump admin to withdraw from UN human rights council
(06-21-2018, 11:08 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Russia is an oligarchical system, as well. The DPRK has the "supreme leader" thing going for it, but it also has an aristocratic system when you dive into it. Every country has a system where the wealthy have increased influence in the policy arena, but that doesn't mean that's the way it has to be or that there is no way to fix it.

Both countries have an aristocratic system, but both are subject to the ultimate whim of one man.  Russia is an oligarchy in the sense that Putin has plundered his way to extreme wealth for himself and his cronies.  However, if anyone of them cross him they are quickly relieved of this wealth, and possibly their lives.  Hence my assertion that Russia is not really an oligarchy, it's a dictatorship predicated on enriching the inner circle.  North Korea doesn't have the wealth but the system is similar.  Others have influence, but Kim is calling the shot.

Quote:I won't go into the nitty gritty details, but our system is more a plutocracy now than it ever has been in our history. There has always been some element of it, sure, but the founders actually sought to prevent that in their system. The widening socioeconomic inequality in our country is just making it worse. There is likely no feasible way to perfect it and become a model republic/democracy, but we've been making it worse for the past 30-40 years with policies that have been put in place.

I would agree in the sense that the gap between rich and poor has never been larger.  Also, the extremes of wealth are compounded by the number of people now in the country.  We do need to relieve pressure on the middle class and expand it or our current system is not sustainable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump admin to withdraw from UN human rights council - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-22-2018, 09:27 AM