Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'16-'17 "Hate Crime" Hysteria
(06-28-2018, 08:13 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would have to look at the stats, but I'm fairly certain there was an increase in hate crimes actually charged, which would still indicate an uptick.

Related: The Nazi cum stain that murdered Heather Heyer has been charged with a hate crime. This makes him eligible for the death penalty, which I hope he doesn't get. Not just because I am against the death penalty, but because that makes him a martyr.

As I said, not rainbows and kittens, but all the headlines at the time were talking about the huge increases and then later in the article mentioning that number was in reference to reported hate crimes, letting people who just skim article titles make their own assumption.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-hate-crimes-20-percent-2016-fueled-election-campaign-n733306
Quote:While some Jewish leaders have suspected the bomb threats may be linked to a higher profile for white nationalists animated by the Trump's campaign, Levin did not draw that direct link.

In New York City alone, there were 55 anti-Semitic crimes reported from Jan. 1 to March 5 this year, up 189 percent from 19 such incidents in the same period of 2016, the data showed.

Where they just said "20% increase!"... and you have to read into the article to find out that it's reported, not charged. They also specifically mention the bomb threats (which we now know were one singular person).

There are a lot more examples of it happening, but yeah..

- - - - - - -

As to your related, I wonder if they'll go for the death penalty. I actually do support the death penalty, though I think the process has gotten flawed over time.

While I think it should probably be used less for people who have any shred of defense for their crime, if a person was blatantly caught red-handed, I think the whole process needs to be expedited. Like Dylan Roof? We all know he did it, everyone saw him do it, so why should it take the decade(s) and many appeals to off him?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: '16-'17 "Hate Crime" Hysteria - TheLeonardLeap - 06-28-2018, 08:33 PM