Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those against the Death Penalty
Lately, my reading and research have been evolving my thoughts on a lot of things. They haven't really changed my views, but given me different ways to think about them. This is one of those instances. To me, every law we have in this country, every action our government takes, should be guided by the Constitution. This seems obvious, but when we look at the preamble it helps to give us a template.

Quote:We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Forming a perfect union, establishing justice, insuring domestic tranquility, providing for the common defense, promoting the general welfare, and securing those blessings. What our governments, local, state, and federal do should fall into those categories. Now I have made bold the categories which someone could argue the death penalty would fall under.

The death penalty is not just as it is not implemented evenly and without error. It does not insure domestic tranquility because it fails as a deterrent. If the death penalty fails in these two things, then its existence means that we are not securing the blessings of liberty and our posterity.

That is my current position on the death penalty. It runs counter to what we, as a nation, said we stood for 230 years ago. I may say that we need a new Constitution, and I still maintain that, but those values that exist in the preamble are values that we should continue to strive for as a country.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Belsnickel - 07-03-2018, 01:48 PM