Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irony of Democrats Celebrating the 4th of July.......
(07-05-2018, 09:13 AM)GMDino Wrote: I saw lots of memes going around yesterday with the same thought as the OP.

Got me thinking this morning:  In reality on Independence Day we celebrate the smart people who used their pen and words to explain the way things should be and were going to be.  Then the people with the guns thought violence was the way to keep the status quo and we had to defend our thoughts and words with weapons.

I noticed this, as well. I saw something about it being the day we won our independence and things of that nature. I cringed a bit because I feel like far too many people don't understand what the day really represents.

Independence Day celebrates the ratification of our Declaration of Independence. This was a letter written to King George III to notify him of our intention to no longer be a part of his kingdom. The war was a year old, the revolution was 11 years old, and the war would continue for another 7 years. Independence Day isn't about war, it is about ideas. It is about the letter. That seems to be lost in today's celebrations of the day.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Irony of Democrats Celebrating the 4th of July....... - Belsnickel - 07-05-2018, 09:25 AM