Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Despite the detractors, Trump doing well
(07-05-2018, 11:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: So to make sure I am clear and do not put words in your mouth: You do not give him credit for forming a coalition with our allies and retaliating against a country that had gassed its citizens? 

That is not what I said. What I said was that there was a valid fault in the action which can provide a valid rationale for the action to not have been a good one.

(07-05-2018, 11:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I ask because your original post said point to something objective and you would give him credit. Seems you have changed "you" to "some people". 

I have changed nothing. You have yet to provide a policy decision that Trump has made that has objectively improved the country. My goalposts have remained firmly planted this entire time.

This entire exercise, which may admittedly be futile, is me attempting to illustrate that for almost everything an administration does there can be logical and rational reasons to oppose them. It isn't just based on emotion or "TDS." So much of how we view policy at this level is subjective. Yes, your view, even if subjective, should be grounded in some sort of evidence, but it is still subjective. The hyper-partisan behavior that exists in current society where people increasingly see the other side as inherently bad is only perpetuated by chalking up disagreements to things like "TDS."

I'm not saying that some people don't hate just to hate, just as some love just to love. You give me any group of supporters or opponents and I could easily show that many hold opinions rooted in personal rather than policy reasons. But immediately dismissing their opinions en masse because they may be insistent or passionate is just doing the exact thing you are claiming to be against.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Despite the detractors, Trump doing well - Belsnickel - 07-05-2018, 11:30 AM