Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irony of Democrats Celebrating the 4th of July.......
(07-05-2018, 01:33 PM)hollodero Wrote: I'm not sure if that's entirely the explanation. "hinterland" has the word "hinten" in it, which does have a distinct translation itself. Similar things go for kindergarten or schadenfreude or bratwurst and all those words. I always rather figured it's German immigrants who kept this speech islands in the language.
I think Brits don't use these words, not entirely sure though. Also, the word blitzkrieg sure wasn't around when the language shifted from Germanic to English.

Just keep in mind that Old English is in the same language family as Old Frisian, Old Saxon, and Old High German. It's one of the reasons that our language structure is closer to Germanic languages than Romantic ones. There are probably a ton of possible explanations, but this shared origin is a big reason for a lot of things like this.

(07-05-2018, 01:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I've found it easier to just say "you're right.  Otherwise you have a tome headed your way.

How else am I supposed to procrastinate at work?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Irony of Democrats Celebrating the 4th of July....... - Belsnickel - 07-05-2018, 01:37 PM