Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baltimore police stopped noticing crime after Freddie Gray's death. A wave of killing
(07-12-2018, 12:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is the type of discussion that really doesn't help, and I'll explain why. I get that the desire from BLM and similar movements is for their rights to be respected. Not an unreasonable desire. But what specifically is desired for a policy change? When we discuss only these things, what the law enforcement community hears are grievances, but they are doing what they have been trained to do. Sometimes things go wrong, but if they are following policy and their training, then that is an unfortunate circumstance. So how can we adapt policies and training to make the community and law enforcement more of a partnership than it currently is? That's what we need to be focusing on.

And to be clear, law enforcement isn't blameless in this. There is a lot of resistance to change, as there always is in any organization. They are already on the defensive because of the criticisms, so they are even less receptive to constructive ideas for change than they would normally be.

This is why we just need to rethink how we approach all of this.

That's the "middle ground" I am talking about.  If nothing had been found then no changes needed to be made.  But rather than work with the community and work for change they have (apparently) just quit doing some of the job.

And that's why I said it might take better training (money & time) to fix anything.

I'm sure I have posted before that training is the key to all of this.  Something other countries invest more in than we do here.

My approach would be to have everyone working together rather than casting unfounded accusations OR being defensive to every accusation.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Baltimore police stopped noticing crime after Freddie Gray's death. A wave of killing - GMDino - 07-12-2018, 12:40 PM