Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is no proof that Jesus existed
(07-13-2018, 01:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Hence, why I also linked the footnotes. Wiki is only a poor source when the information in the wiki is not sourced. The statement I posted had 3 separate footnotes. That's a good source.

Agreed.  If one can follow the sources and verify them it works as a good repository for information and links.

(07-13-2018, 01:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Soooooooooooooooo, a source doesn't count because it says the same thing? Do you not understand how ridiculous that sounds?
"The New York Times just said Obama thinks gay marriage should be legal."
"Well, that's exactly what Obama said last night." 
"Clearly, the New York Times is just echoing Obama and can not be considered an independent source nor can it be considered proof of what Obama says."
Rolleyes
Has it not occurred to you that maybe the reason he's supposedly "echoing" the gospels is because the gospels ARE authentic?

Except, unlike your example, he had no way of verifying the Gospels.  We can't even verify the original work of Tacitus (although it is general accepted as genuine).  And, from what I read, he was a small boy during the time frame he was writing about.  He probably had heard stories and knew of the gospels and put two and two together?  

The translation I read said this after saying he was put to death by Pilate: "...and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment,..."  I wonder if he means he DOESN'T believe there was a resurrection, or simple has no proof of it?

(07-13-2018, 01:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What's your proof of the "many people" that claimed to be the Messiah around the time of Jesus?

There is as much "proof" for that as "proof" that Jesus was real or the son of god.

But there are theories.

http://www.monitor.co.ug/artsculture/Religion/689744-1051562-yiwuw8/index.html
https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520234000/the-messiah-before-jesus

And there's this:

https://forums.catholic.com/t/jesus-wasnt-the-only-messiah-during-his-time/195519

Quote:There were others, the bible it's self points this out, say in Acts of the Apostles:

Quote:Act 5:34 But one in the council rising up, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, respected by all the people, commanded the men to be put forth a little while. 
Act 5:35 And he said to them: Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what you intend to do, as touching these men. 
Act 5:36 For before these days rose up Theodas, affirming himself to be somebody, to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves. Who was slain: and all that believed him were scattered and brought to nothing. 
Act 5:37 After this man, rose up Judas of Galilee, in the days of the enrolling, and drew away the people after him. He also perished: and all, even as many as consented to him, were dispersed. 
Act 5:38 And now, therefore, I say to you: Refrain from these men and let them alone. For if this council or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

That poster goes to say:

Quote:What stands out about Christianity is the fact that Jesus actually rose from the dead, that is to say he proved he was God. Not merely that his followers managed to keep hanging in there (as your teacher suggests).

As if is a definitive fact.

(07-13-2018, 01:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Doesn't mention Jesus by name, true, but he mentions "Chrisus" who suffered the "extreme penalty" (death) under the hands of Pontius Pilate. There's only one person who claimed to be the Messiah that was put to death under Pilate. Hint: his name is Jesus. ThumbsUp

Well we know Pilate existed.  Or someone by that name did at the right time.  But the passage you cite give us no other information about how "Chrisus" died or why.  Just that he inspired followers.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: There is no proof that Jesus existed - GMDino - 07-13-2018, 02:07 PM