Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
House GOP refuses to boost funding for election security
(07-20-2018, 09:36 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've actually read some research papers that laid out arguments for non-citizen permanent residents to be able to vote. It's not a mainstream idea, certainly not the viewpoint of anything close to a majority of people that identify as Democrats, but that doesn't stop people from misrepresenting things.

I've had conversations with people where the nutshell idea is "if you pay income/property taxes, you deserve a voice." And it's an interesting angle, especially when you consider how much the founding of the country revolved around having a voice with how taxes were spent. 

(07-20-2018, 09:54 AM)bfine32 Wrote: https://cis.org/Allowing-NonCitizens-Vote-United-States-Why-Not

I'll just take you at your word that you've never heard of suggesting non-citizens be allowed representation from other liberal sources.

As to the response; it was more in jest than anything else. It stuck me as ironic the left demand stricter voting measures.

Have you ever heard of a train of thought that proof of citizenship (Identification) should not be a requirement to vote?

You could've just said "nobody." That would've been far easier than digging up a decade old article from an anti-immigration propaganda agency often accused of having ties to white supremacy. 

As to the question, sure. And — I realize you aren't going to believe this — I've had conversations like the one mentioned above to Matt with people from both sides. From the left it tends to be more "if they're here contributing, they should have some say" and from the right it tends to be more "if they're paying taxes, they should have a say." But both are basically saying the same thing. And none of those conversations have been with a state or federal lawmaker (one was with a county official on our way to our kids soccer game, but not in any official capacity).  That's why I don't get it when someone says "Democrats just want illegals to vote." Because I've never really heard that as a party issue, or as a candidates platform.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: House GOP refuses to boost funding for election security - Benton - 07-20-2018, 10:45 AM