Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matching up against the North
I'm not too worried about the Ravens. The Bengals play them tough even when they are good, and offensively, I don't believe that they are all that great. I think they at least have an eye on a QB transition very soon, which is never good for the incumbent. It's particularly bad when said incumbent is coming off little to no recent playoff success.

The Steelers will be the Steelers on offense. The only thing that will slow them down is a continued decline from Ben. The o-line is too good and the receiving corps is probably the league's best. Bell won't let up as some have suggested, but even if he did, that line will allow any competent runner to have success. Their weakness IMO is their secondary. It has been for awhile. Artie Burns looks like he might be a bust. The rest of them are pretty much just guys at this point. The outside linebackers will be terrific as always, but how does the inside look with the loss of Shazier? I feel like the defense in PIT is a little like ours in that it could pretty much go either way. It's by no means without flaws, though.

The Browns are intriguing. If they can gel and stay healthy on defense, then they'll be a tough unit. The o-line is decent, but Thomas being gone will sting. They'll have to move guys around or replace him with a young guy. Either way, it's going to be a huge downgrade. The WR corps looks like a nightmare to deal with if somebody can get them the ball. As always it comes down to the QB, and I'm not sure about Mayfield. I do think Taylor will be a competent stopgap. He's as good as anyone they've had up there, but that's not saying a lot. I'm not afraid of this team until they put something together. They added a lot of talent, but they've had big free agents and high draft picks before. A lot. I'm still skeptical of how it all comes together. Also, I think they'll regret not drafting Josh Rosen.

I have zero clue what to make of the Bengals. I don't think it's nuts to think they could have a good year. They still have a wealth of good, seasoned talent. They also have a respectable crop of young talent emerging, particularly on defense with the pass-rush and secondary. I like that. The offense is another story. Can a decent young number 2 finally emerge behind AJ? Will they finally replace the speed they lost when Marvin Jones left? Was the improved line play an illusion or the new reality last year? Can the safeties get on the same page on defense? How will this linebacking corps shape up?

I honestly have no idea and will be surprised by nothing. Hopefully they have it together out of the gate unlike last year's disaster. My worry is that their best player (AJ) is on entering the downside of his career and that Andy will be under major scrutiny if he doesn't produce quickly in the new system. I feel like the organization made certain changes last year, and that if it doesn't work, then Andy will be next to go.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Matching up against the North - Synric - 07-22-2018, 02:48 PM
RE: Matching up against the North - Steve - 07-22-2018, 03:30 PM
RE: Matching up against the North - Sled21 - 07-23-2018, 08:31 AM
RE: Matching up against the North - Sled21 - 07-23-2018, 08:50 AM
RE: Matching up against the North - Synric - 07-23-2018, 11:04 AM
RE: Matching up against the North - Steve - 07-25-2018, 08:04 PM
RE: Matching up against the North - Sled21 - 07-23-2018, 08:28 AM
RE: Matching up against the North - Sled21 - 07-23-2018, 01:39 PM
RE: Matching up against the North - Steve - 07-24-2018, 09:08 PM
RE: Matching up against the North - samhain - 07-23-2018, 02:07 PM