Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judge who sold juveniles to jails gets 28 yrs
(09-06-2015, 11:04 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: It's not just that. Private prisons force inmates into cheap labor. The private prisons make contracts with outside businesses to make or do whatever, and they only pay the inmates pennies on the hour. The inmates can be forced to process food, or make things. This gives the private prisons most of their income. That's why private prisons always want the maximum amount of inmates, because they get slave labor from them. That's the scary thing to me is that minor offenders who would normally just get a fine or a very small punishment will get a maximum sentence to get the private prisons slave labor.

As far as I'm aware the only thing state run prisons (in Ohio at least) make is license plates. The inmates in state prisons still work (and still for pennies on the hour, which I have no problem with) mostly on institutional operations. Like cutting the grass, cleaning, making the food, ect ect.

It depends.

One of the prisons in my area used to have a fully functioning farm. They made furniture, raised cattle and produce. It was good because it taught them a trade. But the prison lost money on it because of labor costs. You have to pay people with skills more, and it's cheaper to spend  $9 an hour for a guard to stand there than it is to pay someone with an ag degree twice that to stand there guarding and tell the inmates how to run a combine. 

The prisons in my area don't make anything any more, but they are used as municipal labor. They aren't allowed to work on private property, but they do most of the city/county mowing, trash pickup, cleaning and general labor. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Judge who sold juveniles to jails gets 28 yrs - Benton - 09-06-2015, 11:59 AM