Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judge who sold juveniles to jails gets 28 yrs
(09-06-2015, 12:26 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: holy shit $9.58!? was that back in the late 1980s? In Ohio Correction officers start out at $16.35 for state prisons, or at least that's what it was in 2010 when I started. I wouldn't work at a prison if it started out at $14. I think it's funny that people get angry at state union workers "making too much money". It's like they don't care about the middle class. Everyone who has a high paying job who works for the state isn't in the union. And don't give me that crap about CO's shouldn't make that much money, because that job is a pain in the ass. You have to watch hundreds of murderers and rapists with only one other partner, and the only thing you have is a man down button and a PR 24 (a guard stick). Not to mention you have to go through a crap ton of training. It's not an easy job like most people think it is.

FWIW Ohio privatized their food service for their prisons, and there has been a HUGE decline in quality. The chow service runs slower. The portions are smaller. The inmates are way more unhappy, and that causes more incidents. The private companies employees have been caught bringing stuff into the prison for the inmates more times than I care to remember. There's been multiple reports of maggots in the serving area. Inmates are able to steal the food a lot easier from the private food service making it cost more on the state (the state has to cover the cost on any extra food the private company has to provide). It has been a huge mistake privatizing the food service in the prisons. I can only imagine what it would be like if the whole prison was under their control.

That's the rate right now. The sad part is, the jailers who house them during trial are deputies, so they start out around $12-16 per hour in most counties. Same prisoners, worse conditions, so they make $3-7 less.

Ours outsource food services to armark. And I get a letter about once a month from an inmate complaining about rotten food, inedible food, etc. One guy said they had spaghetti food breakfast lunch and dinner for eight straight days. I don't feel sorry the guy, it is prison, but that's a case of somebody just not caring about another human being.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Judge who sold juveniles to jails gets 28 yrs - Benton - 09-06-2015, 12:45 PM