Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
US income inequality continues to grow
(07-24-2018, 12:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's not that simple. There may not be less expensive housing. There may not be other jobs you're qualified for that pay better. And because most of your income is tied up in housing, it prevents spending on educational pursuits to improve your situation.

People offer up what they see as simple solutions, but without understanding the ins and outs of the issue they don't realize that it isn't nearly as simple as they think it is.

My wife and I both have college degrees.  We make more money than we ever did (save a brief period when commissions were better for me) and we are no better off than when we got married over 20 years ago.

Some of that is by choice.  We have two kids (one getting married next year).  We bought a house.  We traded in her car for a new car three years ago rather than invest in fixing the old one.  We take a vacation every year with my family.  My wife had gone back to college after our youngest was born and we are still paying for that.

We make choices to spend.

Some is not by choice.

Medical bills for my wife (every test and every consultation and every medication).  My car died and we had to invest in one for me six months after we got hers. The lawnmower died and we bought a used one.  Business is down in my industry (which I've been in for 20 year) so, as I said, commissions are down.  All utilities are up.  

Maybe I just need to "work harder"?  Or should I give up 20 years experience and just "get a new job"?

Decisions, decisions....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: US income inequality continues to grow - GMDino - 07-24-2018, 12:34 PM