Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attorney General Jeff Sessions repeats 'lock her up' chant
(07-24-2018, 03:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I agree it was inappropriate, but it wasn't "incredibly inappropriate" nor "incredibly stupid."

Well, that's a matter of perspective I'd say.

(07-24-2018, 03:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Wow. This is very fred-like of you. I never said anyone had "bigger molehills" nor did I imply anyone was more or less biased. I only pointed out that Holder was biased. 

By which you equated the incidents and compared molehills.
Saying "bigger" was wrong though. It's me argueing Sessions molehill is bigger, not you claiming Holder's are. Please regard my post as amended in that sense.
Still, I wouldn't know how Holder got into a debate about Sessions in the first place, and I yet fail to find something in Holder's conduct that comes close to, jokingly or not, giving the appearance of agreeing personally with demands of imprisonments of political opponents.

(07-24-2018, 03:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: First, what misconduct? Sessions broke no law and did nothing wrong. Sure, he probably shouldn't have joined the chant of "lock her up" as it give an appearance of impropriety, but there's no law or rule that prohibits him from doing what he did.

I'm not sure if "misconduct" means "doing something illegal". I used it as "doing something a head of the DOJ should never ever do or even appear to do". In this case, doing something wrong, like demanding jailtime for anyone (and were it Bill Cosby) without due process is wrong for the head of the Justice Department.

(07-24-2018, 03:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: More importantly, I slammed no one. I only pointed out Holder was biased. Is Session biased? Clearly. But, so was Holder. So is pretty much everybody in Washington.

By these words, you are belittling what Sessions did. As if it were normal and everyone would do it. Not everyone is doing it though. E.g. no democrat I know of has publicly demanded Trump be sent to jail.

Admittedly, I found the "lock her up" chants deeply disturbing and spooky to begin with. No politician should ever jump on that train. Is what I would have thought the bipartisan consensus in these matters, but obviously it is not.

(07-24-2018, 03:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't doubt that is exactly what would happen if situations were reversed. But, pointing out Republican hypocrisy does not excuse hypocrisy by the Democrats (and vice versa).

That's right. This thought has implications though.
Also, I have to say, if situations were reversed (like Holder as DOJ implying a Trump team member should be jailed), I'd completely understand the outrage and wouldn't have thought it hypocrisy. It's just strange how one-sided this is, when you also state that Republicans would be on my side in that one (imaginary) case, but aren't in the other (real) case.

(07-24-2018, 03:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: That is your opinion. I disagree with most of it. I agree he shouldn't have joined in, but I disagree with you in your assessment of whta it means that he did.

Yeah well, it somes sense that is good. How boring would the world be if everyone agreed with me.
I failed to put a lot of "I think" and "in my opinion" in my latest posts, but these things are implied.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attorney General Jeff Sessions repeats 'lock her up' chant - hollodero - 07-24-2018, 04:44 PM