Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to watch for at the Bengals training camp | PFF
(07-27-2018, 07:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Doug Free?  

I think RT has to be our biggest question mark, no doubt.  I am extremely pleased, however, at the drafting of Billy Price.  I feel like the center position was such a weakness that it also impacted the play of the guards to both sides as well as potentially limiting the playbook (even on rushing downs).  Bodine would get shoved backwards so often that pulling guards would not have much of a chance to reach their destination.  I saw it implode a few times and then it seemed as though we didn't go back to it for some time.  I have confidence that if Fisher beats out guys like Redmond for the RT job, it won't be because of his draft position.  They are all under similar timelines for needing their next contract.

One thing I would like to see return for short yardage and the goal line is the "unbalanced line" with the extra lineman lined up as a TE.  I know that it was really designed as a compensation for not having the greatest line to begin with and it was more of a numbers game, but I think having Fisher, Ced, Redmond, or Hart (whoever does not win the RT job) lined up as an extra blocker would make it very difficult on opposing defenses. 

The key to making the formation work (and I would LOVE to roll this shit out against pitt) is to have a couple PASS plays designed out of this formation.  Like where we are lined up on 3rd and 1, have the extra blocker come in, pitt sells out to stop the run, and a guy like John Ross runs a deep route and the Bengals take a shot with him.  It is like when Navy does a fake run option and goes play-action out of their triple option formation.  

They would have to set it up with a couple successful runs out of the formation before taking a deep shot, so they would sell out to stop the run.  

I would love to see that, and I even think a player like Auden Tate could slip out of the formation as a red zone target when lined up for a short yardage gain to move the chains.  

Yeah, Doug Free thanks SHRacer. ThumbsUp  He was not good at all until Pollack got ahold of him. So it is not like all
the guys Pollack worked with were just polished studs coming out of college. We all know how some Lineman
that look really great in college end up being busts. Pollack kept this from happening and even coached up a bad
Lineman in Free. I think he can do the same with talented players like Westerman, Redmond and Fisher.

I wouldn't mind seeing the unbalanced line formation again at times. Not a lot like you said but just to come in
and punish Defenses physically and then like you said have a Play Action pass that comes with it to really throw
Defenses off. Lots of ways to go.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What to watch for at the Bengals training camp | PFF - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-27-2018, 12:20 PM