Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White House bans CNN reporter from press conference
(07-27-2018, 02:04 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Who keeps asserting that Trump barred the individual?

GMDino. And I have argued him with the assumption that it was Trump that did the barring.

(07-27-2018, 02:09 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He doesn't define the press as that, he states that historically the press has included "every sort of publication which affords a vehicle of information and opinion" in his argument that the press isn't limited to newspapers and periodicals, but also any sort of distributed media (pamphlets and leaflets too). 

He even cites one individual, Thomas Paine, and his use of pamphlets as an example of the press. 

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/comm/free_speech/lovell.html

Edit: and of course arguing that freedom of the press doesn't cover individuals, only publications, then means that the right is not an inherent right of the people but a right that belongs to an inanimate object.

Welp, tha'ts what I get for seeing the Wikipedia footnote and not actually checking it out for myself.

Let me try a different angle. Banning a single person from a news conference, does not prevent said person from spreading information. 
[Image: giphy.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: White House bans CNN reporter from press conference - PhilHos - 07-27-2018, 02:53 PM