Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
US income inequality continues to grow
(08-02-2018, 04:12 PM)Beaker Wrote: That is completely reasonable and I think we all would like to see it more balanced. But do you not agree that any changes to a system have their effectiveness lessened if individuals are not willing? The mindset change I am referring to throughout this thread is that we need to teach and encourage problem solving, innovation, better decision making in terms of debt and spending, and perseverance in the face of obstacles. Those things coupled with prudent system changes is how this turns around. Where is that incorrect?

Careful, Beaker, it sounds like you're encouraging a liberal arts education. LOL

The issue with conversations like this is they tend to focus on one part of the overall conversation. Were it up to me, our entire education system would be overhauled from top to bottom in addition to all of this and a number of other things as well. Every problem that our government looks to address requires a comprehensive approach to find a remedy that will serve as a long term solution. Unfortunately, the policymakers do not look for these comprehensive solutions and it is because the public often has little patience for them. They aren't as easy to make campaign ads about. They can't be tailored for special interests as easily.

Because of all of this, we have to look at piecemeal solutions. Things that we can do now that may only focus on one part of the issue. It's an unfortunate truth of the political climate not just of our current society, but of pretty much every society throughout history. Democratic processes don't allow for technocratic solutions. Now, as a technocrat one might think this bothers me, and to an extent it does. But I am also a democrat (note the small d) that believes in the people holding power. My role as a technocrat is to help find the best solutions possible within the political barriers erected by our democracy. So one piece at a time is what we have to focus on. That first piece right now has to be increased tax revenue and decreased spending, and that spending decrease will come primarily from defense since it is the biggest hole in our government budget. Without that first step, we won't be able to afford any other. After that we can talk about infrastructure improvements, universal healthcare, education overhaul, etc.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: US income inequality continues to grow - Belsnickel - 08-02-2018, 05:34 PM