Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a homer. Bring me back to reality, because I'm falling for it again!
Last year in the preseason I was optimistic, but still had a nagging doubt due to the worries about the OL. This year I feel optimistic and excited about what this season could become. I am excitedly optimistic because:

1. Look at what a crapstorm of a team we had last season, yet that team still managed to win 7 games. While that's a losing record, I feel it could have been way worse. On top of that, we lost 3 games by giving up TD drives on the final drive of the game. If our D holds on for 2 of those 3 we have a 9 win team and would have made the playoffs ahead of BUF since we beat them head to head.

2. The trend of last year's team over the season. We started out losing games badly and not even scoring a TD in the first two. Middle of the season we got our footing under us and won some games we were supposed to win. By season's end, the OL didn't seem so terrible and was opening some holes for the RBs, and we finished by beating two teams fighting to make the playoffs. A steady upward trend across the entirety of the season.

3. We now have WRs to compliment and take focus off AJ. The man was on an island all last year with teams basically unconcerned with LaFell and focusing on AJ. He was still his great self, but carrying way to big a load. With Ross, Boyd and Malone shining, there is major room to hope that teams cannot double and triple AJ this year. Dalton does leave a lot to be desired, but he is very good at getting the ball into the hands of his play makers very quickly. With those guys getting open, his options are limitless and our O will be hard to stop.

4. Red zone possibilities. Picture the Bengals lining up in the red zone with AJ, Eifert and Auden Tate. And Mixon and Gio are both very good runners, and great as pass catchers too. If you're an opposing D, how do you stop that?

5. The LBs. How many games did the Bengals have to line up with Vinny Rey, and rookies Jordan Evans and Hardy Nickerson at LB last year? Not to mention Vigil's shortcomings. But this year, Preston Brown is a huge upgrade. Couple that with Evans now having experience and showing marked improvement, and Jefferson's athleticism, and the LB room is also way better than last year.

6. The coaching changes and organizational decision making changes. The coaching changes have been praised ad nauseum. But also the organizational changes such as letting ML pick new assistants, trading for Glenn, etc mean this team is finally starting to operate more like other successful teams.

These are the reasons I have changed my outlook from cautiously optimistic last preseason to excitedly optimistic this preseason. The only way these things cannot translate into at least 2-3 more wins is injuries (knock on wood). Can't wait to get to preseason games to see how this all comes together
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm a homer. Bring me back to reality, because I'm falling for it again! - Beaker - 08-03-2018, 10:39 AM