Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White House bans CNN reporter from press conference
(08-03-2018, 05:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It IS the same thing and trying to make it a 'fact' that Fox News if "fake news" is exactly what Trump is doing.

No. I've said — along with about every non-partisan media metric — that they are in error a great deal of the time. That's not fake news, that's sloppy or intentionally misleading reporting.

But pointing that out isn't the same as Trump, for a handful of reasons. The most obvious is I'm not the POTUS. I'm just a lowly newspaper editor. Whether he wants it or not, he's held to a higher standard. It's also not the same as I'm not just picking out those who I disagree with, or those who say mean things about me.

It's like when some folks call racism over everything. It's not crying racism when you point out actual racism. It's not crying fake news when you point out bad reporting.

Quote: Heck, I could use the same rationale you've just given for Fox News but for CNN and you'd HAVE to agree with me that CNN deserves its "fake news" moniker.

I don't like the fake news craze and the Nazi legacy it comes from, but I'll gladly say CNN makes plenty of biased or factual errors. About half as many as Fox in most audits (20-25%). It's one of the lowest, but to me, that's still way too many.

Quote: You're using the SAME rationale Trump is for calling Fox News fake news. Yet, for some reason, it's wrong when Trump does it to CNN but it's okay for you and others to do so to Fox News.

Fox News didn't call anyone anything. Some people at Fox News, sure. 

If the agency allows it to recur, the agency is to blame. Period.

I've had reporters that made mistakes. We all do, it's not a problem. You correct it and move on. But if a reporter makes the same mistake twice, they're fired. If they repeatedly fail to vet info, they're fired. 

Fox like all outlets is made up of its people. Condoning or maintaining those comments is the agencies voice.

Quote:But that's besides the point. Your analogies fail. We're not talking about people criticizng Fox News when they falsely report a story or a commentator spews nonsense. We're talking about people claiming Fox News is not real news because of those instances.

My focus is more on Trump and the media, the whole "stop attacking Fox News" really isn't the point here. Neither was Obama. If you want to keep discussing Fox we can, but an admittedly partisan news source might not be the best thing to focus a discussion on as the overwhelming majority of the media isn't super left or super right.

It really doesn't have to be Obama's fault and it really doesn't have to do with the continuous errors by Fox News.

Quote: It's analogous to someone going ot Applebee's and getting treated poorly and then claiming all Applebee's have bad servers and the food is crap etc.

Well, that's analogous to Fox's prerogative. It was mostly a marketing ploy, though. They sold hundreds of millions in advertising saying they were the voice of the right that wasn't being represented on those liberal news channels. The problem was, back then, there largely wasn't any media bias and there was no push to capture a market. You had a handful of news channels that were mostly impartial. The partisan push was just a sales tool developed by Ailes.

Quote:To be sure, there have been many legitimate critiques of news stories, personalities, etc of Fox News, but I'm not talking about those.  I am talking about the far too many who have routinely an dsystematically dismissed any and every Fox News story as illegitimate. Basically, they treated Fox News as Trump treats every other news organizatoin other than Fox News (though, Trump takes it up a thousand degrees).

Must've missed this, then. 

Or this:

Or this:

What's interesting is that 2 of those responses were direct responses to YOU. 

It's harder to miss things when you don't throw in "but Obama" to begin with. You aren't making bad points, they just have nothing to do with Trump and the right's current approach to media.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: White House bans CNN reporter from press conference - Benton - 08-03-2018, 06:49 PM