Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The truth about our O-line situation.
We came into this offseason with exactly ONE proven starter on our O-line (Boling). We didn't need to patch up a weak O-line. We needed to completely rebuild one of the worst O-lines in team history. We had 4 holes to fill.

Glen was a great move.

Price looks like a good move, but no rookie is a sure thing. Ogbuehi and Price were both taken with the 21st pick. I am not ripping Price. I loved the pick. But no rookie is a sure thing.

Even if Price works out (which I think he will) that still leaves 2 holes or 40% of the O-line with big question marks.

Redmon and Westerman look to have some potential, but combined they played less than 200 snaps last year. But remember these....

Last two games of the '07 season rookie Chinedum Ndukwe has 2 ints against the Browns and a long fumble return for a td against the Dolphins. bengals win both of those games to finish 7-9 (sound familiar?) and Chinny is a darling of the fanbase. They see him as a key to the defense. Instead he plays more like the 7th rounder he was while starting for a couple of more seasons.

How about when Vinny Rey played two great games back to back in 2013 against the Ravens and Browns where he had 27 tackles 3 sacks and an interception? Everybody was crying about how Marvin was keeping another superstar on the bench.

In 2015 Shawn Williams made a couple of big fourth quarter interceptions against the Steelers and Forty-Niners. Fans were thrilled by his potential. He was "clutch". He was a "playmaker".

So I am still a bit skeptical of Redmon and Westerman.

I gave Fisher a break after his first season because they moved him around so much. But last year was his third, and he never did a lot to impress me.

Ogbuehi is what he is. I have seen players make huge gains after their first and second seasons, but Cedric has also had three seasons.

Hart is a scrub.

If Trey Hopkins is healthy he is possibly the best O-lineman after Glenn, Boling, and Price.

And finally, Pollack may be a good coach, but he is not some hot shot who just got promoted to O-line coach. He was actually let go by his previouys employer. So while he may be good, he is not some guru with a flawless record. Too many people around here are treating him like some kind of legend.

I believe our O-line will definitely be better with the addition of Glenn and Price, but we still have 40% of the line to replace. If we can't shore up those two positions it will be another long season even with the upgrades.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The truth about our O-line situation. - fredtoast - 08-04-2018, 03:39 PM