Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Lawson and ESPN Breakout Player
(08-06-2018, 10:39 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I suspect our D is going to get us in the playoffs despite all the hoopla with our O.

I think the talent at the back end of our defense will allow Austin to send a safety on a blitz from time to time, and I could see some of our safeties being very helpful in this manner.  My biggest question is still the LB corps.  Burfict being gone 4 games, probably not in shape upon return, etc.  I really hope Jordan Evans takes the WILL and Nickel backer role and never looks back.  

With respect to which unit will be responsible (or not) for the Bengals making the playoffs, I still have to put the burden on the offense.  They simply can't average 20 points a game and expect to make the playoffs...no matter how well the defense plays.  

Playing from a lead would also be helpful in making the opponent more one dimensional and forcing them in to a pass-heavy offense.  I remember the Manning-led Colts would get a lead and their defense would just release the hounds (Freeney and...was it Thomas?) and nail opposing QBs.  

With respect to the offense, look at some of the changes vs. opening day a year ago:

Lazor vs. Zampese
Mixon vs. Hill
Eifert vs. Kroft (who stepped up, but it took a little time)
Glenn vs. Ogbuehi
Price vs. Bodine
Ross vs. Lafell
Boyd vs. Boyd (well, this year's finally looks like the guy we drafted)

And that is just on offense.  I can see an improvement of 7 points a game and get this unit back to where they belong.  

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Carl Lawson and ESPN Breakout Player - SHRacerX - 08-07-2018, 09:09 AM