Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missouri Voters Overturn Right-To-Work Measure
(08-09-2018, 09:50 AM)Au165 Wrote: We are going to go sideways with this, so I'll simply change the response I had to say...

I disagree with it's need for safety.

Anecdotal, but a favorite story of my last place of business. No union, but shows the reflection of a business and its approach to safety.

About seven years ago the company decided it could save money by turning off the lights in the pressroom during the day, as the presses only ran at night. People still make deliveries and cross the shop to get to storage, though. One wall is all windows, so it let in some light. Except it wasn't enough and it got worse when they tinted the windows to cut down on cooling costs. The floor has one giant piece of machinery (the press) and there's a dozen of so pallets, stacks of boxes, etc.

Of course, being a dark room, people going through there started tripping over stuff they couldn't see. Delivery drivers refused to go inside, so boxes stacked up out back where they would just drop them off. Employees started complaining (especially after the tint), so management decided to fix the problem: they hung a flashlight by each doorway with a sign that said "Caution".

Businesses often don't care about safety, they care about profit. There's nothing wrong or evil in that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Missouri Voters Overturn Right-To-Work Measure - Benton - 08-09-2018, 10:39 AM