Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missouri Voters Overturn Right-To-Work Measure
(08-09-2018, 10:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Right so my question is if the employer agrees to withhold dues for those in the union, but  does not mandate that people have to pay dues, does that mean the person doesn't have to pay dues?  If so I don't understand the need for right to work laws.

Pat already covered this pretty well. Right-to-work laws really are nothing more than lobbyists for industries/corporations pushing to make it impossible for unions to work that into an agreement, which effectively kills unions. Their intention is to reduce the revenue of the unions to decrease their power, thus increasing the power of the corporations they are often at odds with.

When you start looking at where the laws come from, you come to understand the reasoning behind them. It's all about corporations over people.

(08-09-2018, 10:38 AM)Au165 Wrote: I struggle with people who say if you don't like unions and don't want to pay the dues the free market allows you to go work somewhere else, while also ignoring that the free market also allows workers who don't like their pay or working conditions to go work somewhere else.

I struggle with people that do the reverse, which is really what I have been getting at in my posts. It is the free market in both situations, or it is how the free market should work in principal. However, this is a market failure. Market failures are where government intervention is required.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Missouri Voters Overturn Right-To-Work Measure - Belsnickel - 08-09-2018, 01:10 PM