Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI Article: Lewis felling the pressure to win it all
(08-18-2018, 01:17 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: This season, to me, is the "Has Mike Brown been holding Marvin Lewis back this whole time?" season. Obviously, Marvin's coaching leaves a lot to be desired for in big games but looking at the way the organization has operated in the past, even in 2005, 2013 and 2015 where they had enough talent to contend for the super bowl, some things were bound to come back to bite them. Letting good coaches leave and moving up mediocre assistants, not utilizing FA to fill/upgrade holes, striking out in a few drafts, etc. It's a reason why the organization has been doing things differently this offseason. They traded for a LT, were more active in FA, invested a high pick on a CENTER and they are aware that their core isn't getting younger and they are taking advantage of that. Even last year when they drafted Lawson and Willis instead of drafting Michael Johnson and Margus Hunt clones.  Should they have done that years ago? Most would say yes but if it took Marvin almost leaving for things to change slightly, then I don't mind giving him another chance. Any new coach they hired would've not been able to bring in Teryl Austin and Frank Pollack.

Marvin basically has his own guys on the coaching staff for the first time in his career with the exception of an outsider here and there. No Paul Alexander here to blame for the running game disappearing late in the season. This is the most talent the defense has had at all levels in quite some time, the offense has talent everywhere and the o-line is getting better. You have a new defensive coordinator that wants to force a turnover every play and an offensive line coach that demands aggression and killer instinct. Even if Lazor is decent at best, he's bringing in a whole new system for the first time in nearly a decade that will make Dalton significantly better than he was the past 2 seasons. If Dalton has confidence then the weapons will be used to their full potential. Let's see if these factors are the difference maker for this season.

That is an excellent way of putting it. 

For the first time in over 25 years, this team does not have an "assistant head coach". I'm talking, of course, about Paul Alexander. While Marvin has some obvious, frustrating flaws of his own... There's no doubt in my mind Mike and Paul had some sort of control during Marv's tenure. And now I'm letting myself believe that Mike has finally given the keys to Marvin and Marvin alone.

Will this make any real difference? I doubt it. I think Marvins flaws are what's truly been holding this team back. But I would love to be proven wrong. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: SI Article: Lewis felling the pressure to win it all - Pat5775 - 08-18-2018, 05:41 PM