Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superbowl or sustained success?
(08-20-2018, 09:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I live in the present, not the past.

A Super Bowl win 3 years ago would be meaningless if we go 4-12 this year.

(08-21-2018, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Oh boy!  Nothing like spending a few hours every Sunday looking at a trophy.

(08-21-2018, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Never said they don't matter.  But that is typical.  People can't disagree with hat I really say so they make up something they can argue with.

But I do agree with that final question.  Why are the Celtics still playing if they have already won so many championships.  Why don't they just sell tickets for fans to come and look at banners.  Why don't they sell the TV rights to a broadcast showing the banners hanging in the rafters?

Reds have a more World Championships than the Astros, so why don't you go to their message board and start mocking them?

You said yourself that a Super Bowl win from 3 years ago would be meaningless if we went 4-12 this year. I don't see how I'm twisting your words much.

To you last post, a better comparison would be the Bengals vs the Colts. If a Bengals fan tried to smack talk a Colts fan, our lack of a championship would be one of the first things they brought up. They haven't had a winning season since 2014, they haven't won a SB since 2006, but we all know it'd get brought up. 

It's fine for you to not value old championships, but just know that most fans don't feel that way. Sports fans are generally a nostalgic bunch. Just look at how we talk about 1988 still. Now imagine if we'd won a pair of championships in the 80's. You don't think we'd heavily value those memories? C'mon now. I've seen you talk about Boomer, Kenny and all those old teams.

You think we'll look back on Marv and Dalton the same way we do Wyche and Boomer? You know the answer to that, and that also answers the question of what's more valuable...and Wyche didn't even win the SB.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Superbowl or sustained success? - J24 - 08-20-2018, 07:27 PM
RE: Superbowl or sustained success? - Shake n Blake - 08-21-2018, 03:13 PM