Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D line draft drought finally over?
I believe that a huge part of the recent success in the drafting of Hubbard, Willis, and Lawson has been that they FINALLY threw away the Dunlap/MJ mold and stopped trying to get every DE to be a clone of those guys. We have consistently turned out nose up to the Noah Spence-types for guys like Clarke and Hunt.

It just so happens the two best edge rushers in the NFL (Khalil Mack and Von Miller) are not super tall, 290 lb guys. We have needed guys that can burn speed around the edge on the right side for a seemingly very long time.

Willis and Hubbard are versatile (and strong enough) to rotate inside and play on the right or left side, without sacrificing run defense. But Lawson, is an absolute terror of the edge. That is what they have been lacking for so long and I can't wait to see some of the rotations this year get after opposing QBs.

Unrelated to the D-line discussion, I really liked what I have seen with a couple corner blitzes. I want more blitzes and it would seem they are testing out several different schemes. I hated watching the front four play patty-cake for five seconds only to see Piggy check it down to a RB or TE for an easy 10 yards. I am really hoping that Austin, the new talent on the defensive line, and faster LBs (Vigil and Evans as the nickel backers) helps to eliminate that situation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: D line draft drought finally over? - SHRacerX - 08-22-2018, 07:49 AM