Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster Surprises the Rest of the Way?
(08-27-2018, 05:24 PM)MentalRage Wrote: Other position/situations yes I completely agree. The better guy should keep the job. I believe this is a very specific situation. Good teams don't waste a fifth round pick on a kicker just to hold a kicking competition during training camp. When you select a kicker that early you're saying, "that's my guy" and I'm willing to go through his ups and downs as a rookie because I believe in his upside. If a team has even the slightest bit of doubt about the kid then don't take him that early. 

If you think I'm wrong that's fine. We can agree to disgree :)

I do think you are wrong for few reasons..  1. You can't assume a kicker especially a rookie is going to get it correct after a bad camp and preseason, you also have to put time and history in the context. 
 2. The Bengals were coming in last season on a bad run with kickers, so they decided to have a open competition for once instead of drafting, signing one main kicker.  When they committed to that, they also said they will take who ever the best kicker is in the tryout regardless of draft pick etc. 
3  Finally we can play what if all we want.. for example maybe we keep Elliot because he was a draft pick though he did not kick well for us like Tampa did with 2nd round pick Roberto Aguayo , who then went on to have a terrible season and was released before the next season. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roster Surprises the Rest of the Way? - Essex Johnson - 08-28-2018, 08:43 PM