Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uh yeah Tate can go on the practice squad (sarcasm)
I'm amazed that some people seem to think special teams play is meaningless and anyone can do it. Cody Core established himself as a pretty darn good gunner ,but if the position was so meaningless teams would have guys like Geno doing it. 
Field position is really important especially in tight games.  Neither Core nor Tate are going to be starting receivers and there's a good chance that neither will get any red zone targets at all throughout the season so they had better be able to offer more than just a potential red zone target. Teams simply cannot just ignore the other contributions a player can offer because someone else MIGHT be able to offer the sexiest catches in the red zone. 
I might buy the height argument if Core was 5'6" or something, but Tate is a mere 2" taller and not the starting center in the NBA.. 
By minimizing the importance of ST gunners you might as well just say that it's ok to let opposing teams score TDs on every punt or kick off and think we'll always get it back with our amazing 6'5" potential red zone target every time ..  
I'm not saying Core is or was the greatest gunner of all time ,but he does offer something that Tate doesn't.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Uh yeah Tate can go on the practice squad (sarcasm) - grampahol - 08-30-2018, 12:10 PM