Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump: Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was ridiculed by the 'fake news'
To be fair the Gettysburg Address was a head scratcher when he spoke it. The crowd gave applause through it at times as they do any speech. But it wasnt until he begin to sit down did they realize it was over, and then gave clapped as there was silence for a few seconds.

The keynote speaker of the day who spoke before him was last name of Everett I believe, told Lincoln something like 'you just said in 2 minutes what I said in 2 hours.' Others not so nice or werent smart enough to realize what just happened.

But like today, Lincoln was criticized of the speech down partisan lines in newspapers. Democratic backed papers scorned and ridiculed him. But they weren't the brightest people of the day, for the next year they nominated George McClelland as their nominee who was chickenshit general that thought he was the next coming of Caesar or Napoleon.

In regards to Trump, I never have heard it was 50 years later or anything, but I do know over time and after Lincoln's death did the speech begin to gain momentum among scholars.

Garry Wills book Lincoln at Gettysburg is a great read for those that are interested too.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump: Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was ridiculed by the 'fake news' - Millhouse - 09-07-2018, 08:49 PM