Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trump now accused of colluding....
(09-13-2018, 02:15 PM)hollodero Wrote: ...as you should. Of course. As far as I know, there's no definite answer to that anyway. What is pretty clear by now is that water temperature plays a major role in forming hurricanes. It's also a fact that anthropogenic CO2 emissions rose the level of CO2 in the atmosphere significantly. In scientifically accepted theory, this leads to warmer years. Are there warmer years? Yes.
And with warmer years, oceans get warmer too, hence increased likelihood of more and stronger hurricanes.

I'd figure a connection between global warming and more/stronger hurricanes seems extremely likely. Is it a fact, I wouldn't dare say. The thing I always wonder though is how climate change sceptics dare say so much. At some point, they have to be the ones 100% certain that such a thing as man-made climate change, with all its consequences (not just hurricanes), does not exist. If they're wrong, the planet is in peril.

Now regarding earth's history, we sure can't say how hurricanes behaved thousands or millions of years ago. I don't think that's too relevant though. There are things mankind cannot change (like a new ice age) and things it can change.
In that sense, it makes no sense to blame Trump or his policies for current hurricanes, to me it makes some sense to blame a "bad" environmental policy [of course along with 1.000 other things Trump or no one can change] for an increased intensity or appearance of future hurricanes.

I understand a lot of what you're saying here, but this hurricane is a perfect example of what I was talking about.

Satellites show it to be a Cat4/5 or whatever out in the ocean. Doom is predicted. It finally hits land as just a Cat 1 and promptly turns into a mere Tropical Storm.

Before satellites were streaming live information about all over the world, would anyone have ever know that the hurricane was originally a Cat 4/5 out in the ocean? Or would they have just known it landed as a 1, and stopped being a hurricane pretty much instantly?

That's my problem with throwing out a stat like "double the Cat 4/5 since 1970!

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Trump now accused of colluding.... - Vlad - 09-12-2018, 08:07 PM
RE: Trump now accused of colluding.... - TheLeonardLeap - 09-14-2018, 11:27 PM
John Kerry colluding with Iran - Vlad - 09-13-2018, 11:22 AM