Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teryl Austin - i'm starting to get nervous..
(09-23-2018, 07:28 PM)sonofstat Wrote: is it too early and too much of a knee jerk reaction to be worrying about our new DC?

some concerns based on first 3 games:

1) if our offense keeps needing to score 30+ points to stand a chance of winning a game we probably will not get to the playoffs

2) preaching turnovers is great but if you are relying on them to stop the opposition and you do not get them then you better have a plan B or C....this defense is starting to feel close to a Chuck Bresnahan one.

3) we appear to be playing soft, way back in coverage. From the talk in the preseason I though we may be going more aggressive , man to man but we continue to appear to be a step behind and allowing a lot of easy completions underneath

4) we have played 2 games against O Lines with injuries and backups who we were meant to feast on.  despite the talent we have upfront we have lacked consistent pressure...in fact i would argue the DL has been the most underwhelming unit on the team given the expectation pre season.

so what gives - talent is not actually there, still early days for new DC and scheme and we will settle down , or is he going to be found lacking throughout the year?

You nailed all points.  My big problem is when people start whining about personnel or injuries (like we don't have Burfict) and not address what we are getting out of our players that are on the field.  That is a lot of what I call "coaching".  Game plan, etc, is one thing, but not having the drive, pride, motivation, etc. to play harder than what I saw in the middle of our defense is frustrating.

I am sure the National Media will say (rightfully) all week "We knew better than to believe in them" and drop them in meaningless power rankings.  I would also imagine they will get their asses kicked hard at practice and will look different at Atlanta.  

The lack of adaptation to the quick-strike offense by Carolina is incredibly frustrating.  It is like a boxer getting killed by a jab that never defends it.  Jab, jab, jab...smack, smack, smack....rinse and repeat.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teryl Austin - i'm starting to get nervous.. - SHRacerX - 09-24-2018, 07:17 AM