Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS orders thrice-divorced KY county clerk to issue marriage license
Saw this on another board I post on, and it sums up my feelings about government involvement in marriage. I'd apply this to gun ownership as well.

The Libertarian Party, for instance, believes that marriage should be a matter of personal liberty, not requiring permission from the state.[7][8] Individuals that align with this libertarian stance argue that marriage is a right, and that by allowing the state to exercise control over marriage, it falsely presupposes that we merely have the privilege, not the right, to marry. As an example of a right (as opposed to a privilege), those that are born in the US receive a birth certificate (certifying that they have been born), not a birth license (which would give them license so they could be born). Some Christian groups also argue that a marriage is a contract between a man and a woman presided over by God, so no authorization from the state is required. Some US states have started citing the state specifically as a party in the marriage contract[9] which is seen by some as an infringement.[10]

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS orders thrice-divorced KY county clerk to issue marriage license - jakefromstatefarm - 09-11-2015, 04:08 PM