Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This defense is a major concern...
(10-03-2018, 06:08 AM)sonofstat Wrote: My problem with Austin is I can't work out what he wants to be, or focus on.

Turnovers was the one thing pre season and after only one game .v. Colts perhaps we thought that was enough and would carry on...now i'm not sure.

I remember Guenther always saying he was not bothered about giving up yards and it was scoring defense that mattered to him.  

Thus we never tended to be blitz heavy and were fundamentally sound , everyone knew the scheme (both a carryover from the initial work zimmer did) and the ethos seemed to be we are gonna try and make them go the whole way up the field.  But that approach was backed up by a good red zone defense and when the pass rush was going well we got off the field on 3rd down more often then not.

It may not have been the most dynamic and exciting approach but at least you could see if influencing the scheme and playcalls and by in large Guenther (and Zimmer) had consistently good defenses.

With Austin I have no clue.....its neither one thing or the other....e.g. he's not aggressive, blitz heavy and therefore creating masses of turnovers but sometimes giving up big plays and yards.   But on the other hand he's neither giving up yards, but fundamentally we are sound and not giving up points.

I'm hopeful for this week as I do not rate Miami and Burfict will help but again thats not directly linked to the job Austin is doing
Very solid points honestly, you're 110% right,let's hang our hat on something, either be sound bend but don't break defense that limits big plays,or a aggressive rex Ryan type defense that wants to come after you and force you into turnovers,right now we're neither and it's head scratching tbh...
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: This defense is a major concern... - Tlawsonmariat82 - 10-03-2018, 10:33 AM