Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extensions for Iloka, Zeitler, and Dre Updates!
(09-12-2015, 05:32 AM)phil413 Wrote: Great post Lqhybrid25., good thread overall by those involved.  I really like thinking about future finances the way this team is building, they're very responsible.  I'll agree that Iloka seems like a good fit for either tag as he's poised for another good year and will be paid as a top safety.  There's a lot of hope but also uncertainty in the secondary, so locking him up is a need. I think the future will break down to a lot of choices between two players:

T- Whitworth/Smith:  Spazz70 had a solid point on Zeitler.  Because they may not spend top dollar on a top guard (see Steinbach), Whitworth signing a 3 year extension and being moved inside to guard in a year is still a better financial fit than what could be a top 5 guard deal.  If someone overpays Whit longterm out of need, don't rule out Andre returning especially since the young tackles may not see the field much this year.  I think it'll be Whit at LT, Ogbuehi at RT, Fisher as a super sub until they lose Zeitler.
Prediction: Whitworth signs a 3 year deal at the 11th hour before FA.

WR- Jones/Sanu:  I think Marvin is primed for a huge year, I want him signed long term.  The problem is, it may be another TJ situation where he gets a huge deal as a #1 elsewhere.  Sanu is NOT on his level, but will likely be half the price. They likely take a deep ball WR threat in the top 3 rounds rather than pay Marvin close to 10M/yr.  
Prediction: Sanu signs a 4 year deal during FA. 

S-  Nelson/Hall:  Yes, by the end of the year we could see a lot more of Leon at safety than corner, provided the young guys hold up.  Nelson will be 32 but someone will pay him top 10 money for a few years.  I think both hit the market, and when Leon doesn't get the offers at corner that he thinks he will see, they retain him for less than what Nelson would cost.  The extra year and guaranteed money could be the difference.
Prediction: Hall at safety for a 2 year deal during FA. 

Really, really good post.

The point of Andre returning with Whit to Guard is a solid one.  I think all the money is on Ogbuehi.  He has to be able to start as a tackle next season.  That could allow Whit to move to guard as you said, but they would still need another tackle and I am not sure based on the early returns from Fisher.  The other possibility is you pay Zeitler and he moves to RT.  He is probably the most capable guy left on the roster.  Then you might be able to draft a guard that can start next year.

I think you nailed it with MLJ.  He, and his agent, should realize that a lot of his success would come from AJ drawing double teams on the other side.  That being said, it won't stop a team like the Browns from offering him a crapload of money.  I completely agree that an early round WR will be on the draft board next year (probably should have been this year).  Sanu I see as more expendable.  I heard a couple guys on the radio say that if Burkhead played in New England, he would have 85 receptions.  That might be a stretch, but I love him in the slot.  Sanu is a great gadget for an end-around where he throws the ball, but he simply didn't show the reliability in the slot receiver position.  I think he led the league in drops.  If that doesn't improve dramatically, he is gone. 

I almost forgot about the contract of Hall being off the books for next season.  He could be signed to a more realistic number and that money that becomes freed up go to Iloka.  I'm not sure if Smith will be ready to fill in for Nelson, but I like what we saw in very limited action this preseason. 

Based on all that, and the hopeful 100% return of Burfict, I could see the biggest needs going in to next season as Guard, WR, Safety, and LB.  (in no particular order).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Extensions for Iloka, Zeitler, and Dre Updates! - SHRacerX - 09-12-2015, 09:40 AM