Poll: Should College Athlets Be Paid?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should College Athletes Be Paid?
Here's the rub.. Not every college student is a sports fan and most don't attend college for the schools sports programs. 
Put yourself in their shoes for a moment.  Suppose you attend , say OSU to study dentistry or whatever . Why should student athletes get paid to play a game that may or may not ever get them to the pro level while you work your butt off to study and receive absolutely nothing to live while attending ? There's something inherently unfair about this. OSU currently enrolls about 45,000 students per year give or take a few hundred at any given time.. Of the 45000 only a handful will ever play football for the college and even less will go on to the pros..Now why should players who will never even sniff the NFL draft get paid and those who do get drafted and go on to great success in the league will make millions while the student who works hard, perhaps 2 jobs get paid nothing? 
The same arguments can be made for people who don't pay any attention to pro sports at all. Why should they have to pay taxes to build stadiums for sports they get nothing in return from? 
My view..college athletic programs should be entirely voluntary and paid for by the people who actually care about the sports...not by people who don't. The benefit the public receives from sports is just too ambiguous. Sure, a handful of people profit from it, but by far most never see a dime and those who do are really receiving a hell of a heavy dose of public funding at the expense of everyone else.  The thing about college athletes is that nobody forces them to attend. Even the greatest athletes could always opt to go to work elsewhere to support themselves. You're asking the rest of us to basically pay them to become millionaires..  Personally if I'm going to pay someone to become a millionaire I chose myself even though I'll never play football at any level ever again much less pro football .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should College Athletes Be Paid? - grampahol - 10-05-2018, 12:17 PM