Poll: Should College Athlets Be Paid?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should College Athletes Be Paid?
(10-03-2018, 09:11 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What you two suggest, here, already happens. Scholarships aren't just for tuition. Scholarships are based upon the total costs which includes housing and meals. A full ride athlete gets all costs covered on campus, and because of NCAA regulations an off campus student must get the same. Now there is also the ability to pay up tot he full cost of attendance, which is a little higher. So scholarship athletes receive money for tuition, rent, and food. They also can receive money for books and other expenses. In addition to all of that, they usually have a clothing allowance and others sorts of things.

We, and many schools, for an off-campus student athlete will provide them part of their scholarship as an allotment which is paid out monthly. This is done because they can't manage their money if we give it to them all at once.

Exactly this. Most athletics departments in the NCAA aren't self-sustaining. They are supported by fees charged to other students at the university. Even with the revenue sharing athletics departments have to rely on these other forms of revenue. When I first started my job, there was a lot of hubbub about higher education expenditures in the state. There was a report by Virginia's version of the GAO, JLARC, on this. This is the report (http://jlarc.virginia.gov/pdfs/Reports/Rpt443.pdf), but it has a lot of other stuff to it This article touches on the athletics part: https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/jlarc-report-of-tuition-fees-went-to-athletics/article_3612f7da-1973-11e3-a102-0019bb30f31a.html

I put in bold the line that I want to point out. Virginia Tech, the largest and most successful of the athletics programs in the Commonwealth, still has to rely on 11% of its athletics budget from student fees that are paid with tuition costs. You can see from that section, only three of the 14 schools get even over half of their costs covered without fees. So with concerns over the rising costs of college to students, adding onto this burden with paying student athletes just isn't going to fly.

I refuse to buy the argument "we can't afford it" when VT is paying their football coaching staff $6.6 million per year.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should College Athletes Be Paid? - fredtoast - 10-05-2018, 12:35 PM