Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why would the United States government attack its own citizens?
(09-12-2015, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I actually brought this up in another thread where someone was whining about police officers confiscating cash without charging people.  I don't agree with police doing that, but at least people have the right to go to court and get that money back.  And most people who go to the trouble to contest it do get their money back if they are not guilty of anything.  But with Imminent Domain the person whose property is seized doesn't have a lot of recourse. Courts have up held multiple cases of the government taking property through imminent domain purely for private business development.  The seizure was justified because the development was in the best economic interest of the entire community.

That is a very dangerous power the government has that a lot of people don't talk about. 

People who have their property seized do get paid for it, but that does not make it right in all these cases.  

I understand the need for imminent domain, but sometimes it's ridiculous. About 40ish years ago they ran a parkway through here. A friend had her family farm divided by the parkway, the house on one side with road access and the majority of the property — more than 100 acres — cut off with no access. There was no reimbursement since, according to the state, there could potentially be access some day.

Those sorts of things are different than tin foil hatters who think Bush masterminded 9-11, but they do create a reasonable distrust.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why would the United States government attack its own citizens? - Benton - 09-13-2015, 12:11 AM