Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals are the "perfect storm" for heated debate.
(09-13-2015, 11:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Reid got fired for going 12-20 his last two years in Philly.

Harbaugh left after going 8-8 and missing the playoffs.

So, yes, I will stick to my statement that it is very very rare for a HC to get replaced when he is making the playoffs every year.  It has happened, but it is a rare exception rather than the general rule.

Although there's never been another coach that's gone 0-6 either.  These other coaches, who are "consistently" making the playoffs, have won in the playoffs at some point.  So you can't really compare Marvin to any one of these other coaches, who are rarely fired.  He's the only one, EVER, to lose that many out of the gate.

Andy Reid, John Fox, Harbaugh are just example of guys who had way more success than Marvin who got shit canned.  Love Smith had a better run, making the NFC Championship twice, and he was fired after going to 10-6.  Josh McDaniels went 8-8 in his first and only complete season.  He even won a playoff game.  He didn't make it to the end of year 2.  Todd Haley went 10-6 in year 2, after taking over a 2-14 season.  He was fired in year 3 after going 7-9.

I guess my point is anyone else Marvin would have been fired.  In 2008.  In 2010.  In 2013.  Yet he still here.  It's unprecedented.  You can 't compare to anyone, because no team in the history of league has been stupid enough to keep a coach for well over a decade, who can't even win one stinking playoff game.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals are the "perfect storm" for heated debate. - Wes Mantooth - 09-13-2015, 11:40 AM