Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evangelical Support for Trump Eroding?
(10-12-2018, 09:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: His message was for everyone including any goverment officials, but not in their capacity.  I mean he didn’t tell Matthew to make sure the taxes he collected were spent in the poor. He took him away from that job.  Again I’m not saying He would object to government aid.

Apparently some Evangelicals are, though. And they approve of some very un-Christlike behavior on the part of ICE and Trump. Still others may find it unChristian, but cannot criticize it, adopting a rather Medieval view of state authority: one must submit to it as sent from God, even if heathen.

So one can still be Christlike feeding a few homeless in the neighborhood, while approving of government pulling children from their parents by the hundreds, or kicking the hungry off the dole by the thousands.

But I don't find the break between private and public so clean as that.  I think there are lines people won't cross, including Evangelicals; they don't know what those lines are until suddenly the state starts crossing them. Then they do think the state ought to be more Christian. That maybe is why we are seeing this disruption within the Evangelical community as some call Trump out for his wickedness and others tell them to STFU and submit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Evangelical Support for Trump Eroding? - Dill - 10-12-2018, 09:27 PM