Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Let's talk about income inequality
(05-24-2015, 10:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is an interesting point that you mention, about degreed young folk going toward bigger money, with less work involved.  It sort of leads into my whole idea that many that claim to be "trapped" in minimum wage jobs actually could rise above that level, but maybe they just don't want to put in the work it takes to sustain a better paying, high output position.  

Just like when you mentioned the immigrants that do the physical labor jobs; Yes, they come here as laborers, but I have personally observed that they have progressed to skilled and supervisory positions in those industries.  

My entire premise is that the opportunity for upward mobility is still here, but many are just unwilling to work for it.  A significant raise in minimum wage is not what is in order here, but rather a raise in personal work ethics.

I don't disagree that upward mobility is still there, I just don't think it is there like it once was. The gap between the rich and the poor is narrowing, meaning the middle class is disappearing. There's a lot of people with degrees that can't find a decent paying job within the their field of study. And I'm not talking about people with just a liberal arts degree.
I know guys with degree's in marketing, business, graphic design, programing...you get the point. My own father had worked in commercial art/package design for 25yrs before they forced him into retirement, bring in someone younger and pay them less.

Like I said in a post earlier, the gap between CEO's and his average employee's wage is outlandish compared to what CEO's made 30-40yrs ago.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's talk about income inequality - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 05-24-2015, 11:07 PM