Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Let's talk about income inequality
(05-24-2015, 10:30 PM)treee Wrote: My opinion when it comes to income inequality is that it's something that is easy to not think about. It's easier to pretend it's not real rather than come to terms with the fact that some people are born with significantly less opportunity than others.

Treee, all Americans are born with the same opportunities, in this day and age. Sure, in some small pockets, some groups are still disadvantaged, but, by and large, most of America has passed that point. You state that it is easier to pretend that it isn't real, rather than to accept the fact... Well, for some it seems to be easier to play the role of disadvantaged, rather than try hard and see where that goes.

In this link, http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/24/opinion/navarrette-affirmative-action/ You have a minority group clearly against affirmative action, as it reduces the opportunities for students based on merit. Why would the Chinese argue against affirmative action? One would think that they would benefit from consideration on a basis of race or ethnicity, right? Wrong, they actually see that system of taking away opportunity from a high achiever, as to award it to someone solely on the basis of race.

In post slavery times, it could easily be argued that the Asians have faced some of the worst discrimination and negative sentiment in America. If they are arguing that preferential treatment is a bad thing, then they certainly must realize that opportunity is here, when all things are considered on an equal (or merit) basis.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's talk about income inequality - SunsetBengal - 05-24-2015, 11:10 PM