Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets give Marvin credit this season ....
(10-24-2018, 05:22 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Let me make this VERY SIMPLE for you. Going by his track record since 1991, [you with me], Mike brown would not have made the playoffs in 2005, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 [you with me]. He had a track record of hiring loser coaches, no scouting, not getting quality players, losing quality players of free agency[you with me].

This team was losing quality players and again you conveniently will not comment on what TJ stated and more importantly what that meant.
What it means[you with me] is that this team would not have fared well DURING THE ERA OF FREE AGENCY!!!!![YOU WITH ME]

This team would have lost more talent if it was not because of the change of culture.

At this point we don't get quality free agents, but we lose quality free agents aka Whitworth[See LA RAMS].

You said we had talent, of course we did, during Marvin's tenure. Not during the 1991-2003 era of Mike Brown and his losing cheap ass way. Players did not want to come here[you with me], at least now we can keep some, yes some talent that we brought up during the draft. And whose drafting? Marvin's drafting.[you with me].

No need to get snotty BY. Apologies if I came off that way, but it really wasn't my intent to make this a poo flinging contest.

Anywho, whether or not we would've made the playoffs with a different coach is a whole other topic, but lets be honest here. One of the other candidates was Tom Coughlin. A Mike Brown led franchise was choosing between Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin. Two very good candidates. I'm not sure why Marv apologists always like to ignore this and focus only on Dave Shula/Bruce Coslet (1991-2003). 

As for talent acquisition, I'd argue that our de facto GM (Tobin) has had more to do with that than Marvin Lewis. 

This is where we differ. I don't think Marvin Lewis is the only thing keeping this team from sinking into a black hole, because (a) Tobin and (b) the last time we had a coaching vacancy, we looked at some very good candidates. Either way, I'd rather risk falling into another lost decade and say "we tried" than to sit here for infinity watching Marv teams choke, knowing full well they aren't winning a championship. 

(10-24-2018, 06:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have to be kidding, right?

You have probably made hundreds of posts in threads about Mike Brown's free agent policy over the years, but when you want to bash Marvin  suddenly it is not an issue?

We had the talent to get into the playoffs, but in 5 of the 7 playoff games we were underdogs.

'05 Steelers 3 point favorite
'11 Texans 4 point favorite
'12 Texans 4 point favorite
'14 Colts 4 point favorite
'15 Steelers 3 point favorite

1. Save your faux bewilderment, Skip Bayless. Of course I've wanted free agent upgrades just like anyone else. Anything that would boost our chances of winning a playoff game. That doesn't mean we haven't had teams talented enough to win playoff games. 

2. What are the odds a team loses 7 straight playoff games in embarrassing fashion? One in a Marvin Lewis? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lets give Marvin credit this season .... - Shake n Blake - 10-25-2018, 02:05 AM