Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redmond - Weakest link on the line
(10-26-2018, 10:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't buy that one second. There are 32 HC jobs, 323 OC jobs, 32 DC jobs, 32 line coach jobs, etc. I don't think any HC is going to risk his job hiring a "good old boy" that isn't the best choice to help him win, and I don't think any owner is going to hire a HC he doesn't think can win for him. Now, they might not always be right, but I don't think it is an old boys club at all. The reason head coaches bounce from team to team occasionally, is because they are the best at what they do....

I can see that viewpoint but it is too clinical. Human nature will show that owners will act with some level of "comfort" - perhaps choose the coach with experience then the one without. A good example is the Celtics when they chose Brad Stevens as HC, almost everyone thought WTF??? But he quickly became one of the best head coaches in the NBA. 

With your argument you could translate that to any business and say every CEO is the best their is because it is the top position in the business world. But no, many (if not most) fail, they are not the best. Sometimes someone is very good for a short window of time or in a very specific spot. Many CEO's go from firm to firm and often fail all over the place but keep getting more chances. It happens. 

This is humans picking other humans, ergo subjective to human error. To say there is no coordinator or other coach or ANY college coach who could not do a better job than ML (or Hue Jackson or Doug Marrone or, etc etc) is ridiculous. MANY of the head coaches in the NFL are the best but many are outright average or weak or just plain bad. 

Coslet, Crennel, Marion Campbell, Kotite, Dave Shula, etc etc. Right now you can say Hue and Doug Marrone and a few others who simply are not that good. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Redmond - Weakest link on the line - I_C_DeadPeople - 10-26-2018, 11:31 AM