Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Half Way Point
Interesting comments from Jay Gruden:

The second came on the ensuing possession, which started at the Washington 25. On the third play, Adrian Peterson took his third straight carry off right tackle, and ripped through the Giants defense for a 64-yard touchdown. And that was it. Ballgame.

So what ties the two? Gruden and the Redskins’ massive investment in big people, on both sides of the ball, allowed them to play bully ball when it mattered most.

“I’m a firm believer in line-of-scrimmage football. We invested a lot of money in our offensive line and draft picks, and we’ve invested a lot in our defensive line,” Gruden said. “And to me that’s what football’s all about. It enables you to protect your quarterback, run the ball, stop the run and get after the quarterback. It’s paying off right now.”

The rundown on the investment is pretty staggering. Among the five guys (including the outside linebacker) who start on the defensive line of scrimmage, three are first-round picks—Ryan Kerrigan, Da’Ron Payne, and Jonathan Allen. Preston Smith, who plays opposite Kerrigan, is a second-rounder, as is the third outside ’backer, Ryan Anderson. And Matt Ioannidis is a home-grown fifth-rounder.

On offense, left tackle Trent Williams and right guard Brandon Scherff were top-five picks. Right tackle Morgan Moses was a third-rounder, and center Chase Roullier was a sixth-round revelation. Left guard Shawn Lauvao was a decently-priced free-agent signing.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Half Way Point - corpjet - 10-29-2018, 08:20 AM
RE: Half Way Point - BoomerFan - 10-29-2018, 09:33 AM
RE: Half Way Point - Hoofhearted - 10-29-2018, 09:42 AM
RE: Half Way Point - bengalguy71 - 10-29-2018, 01:32 PM
RE: Half Way Point - corpjet - 10-29-2018, 02:57 PM
RE: Half Way Point - I_C_DeadPeople - 10-29-2018, 03:18 PM
RE: Half Way Point - Big Boss - 10-29-2018, 03:32 PM
RE: Half Way Point - I_C_DeadPeople - 10-29-2018, 03:50 PM