Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Defense is Bringing the Team Down
I think most fans were excited about Austin coming in because of his emphasis on turnovers. However, I think most fans also assumed that the philosophy of limiting yardage and points would have also remained. Unfortunately, that's not really been the case.

Austin was quoted saying..
Quote:#Bengals defensive coordinator Teryl Austin on all the stats and records showing how historically bad the #Bengals D has been:
"Count the Ws and the Ls. That's the only stat at the end of the year that counts. That's all I care about. And getting turnovers."

So unfortunately, the defense did not go from being stingy on points/yardage and just emphasize turnovers on top of that, but instead Austin's defense foregoes (disregards?) yardage/points for the sake of turnovers.
Quote:Trying to create turnovers can be a risky venture. Bengals players have missed tackles this season when trying to strip the ball rather than secure the tackle. Jumping a route can result in an interception or a long touchdown, and to some extent that is the cost of doing business.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/11/1/18044934/film-room-bengals-defense-reliance-on-turnovers-continued-against-buccaneers
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Defense is Bringing the Team Down - ochocincos - 11-01-2018, 10:37 AM